ಸಿರಿಗನ್ನಡಂ ಗೆಲ್ಗೆ ಸಿರಿಗನ್ನಡಂ ಬಾಳ್ಗೆ
- Kannada is the third oldest language of India after Sanskrit and Tamil.
- Kannada is more than 2000 years old.
- Kannada is 99.99% perfect – logically and phonetically.
- There are 7 Gnana Peeta awardees from Kannada literature.
- Shri Vinoba Bhave called Kannada script the “Queen of world scripts” (Vishwa lipigala rani”)
- English does not have its own Script! English is written in “Roman”.
- Hindi does not have its own scriptalso. Hindi is written in “Deva Naagari” lipi.
- Tamil has a script but it is deemed to be logically and phonetically imperfect, as common letters are used for many pronunciations.
- Kannada is a phonetic language – you write what you speak and you read what you write.
- When “Kaviraja Maarga” was written by Amoghavarsha, English was still in its infancy and Hindi was not born at all.
- Kannada is the only Indian language for which Reverend Ferdinand Kittal (ಫರ್ಡಿನ್ಯಾಂಡ್ ಕಿಟ್ಟೆಲ್) wrote a dictionary.
- “Ragale” Sahitya is unique to Kannada. It is composed of couplets in blank verse, a metre native to Kannada.
- Rashtrakavi Kuvempu is the recepient of the highest number of literary awards in India.
- Kannada Chandassu (ಛಂದಸ್ಸು- ಪ್ರಾಸ, ಯತಿ, ಗಣ) is most extensive compared to all other languages.
To read about the history and etymology of Kannada language, please click on the links below.
The history of Kannada language and script is explained by Sri S Settar on Rutumana channel